Thursday 4 November 2010

Red Thursday

At 8:35 last night, I walked into the cinema full of apprehension assuming 'Red' would be fairly predictable and mildly -if at all - amusing.  I was quickly proved wrong and I was very happy about it! More violent than I expected, it reminded me a lot of Expendables due to the older casting aspect of the film.  The script focused a little on the age factor which added rather nicely to the humour and plot of the film.  If you haven't seen the film, the basic plot is about ex-black ops agents that are on a hitlist along with a few others. (As you may or may not know, RED stands for Retired and Extremely Dangerous.)

John Malkovich, as always, plays a fantastic character - I won't ruin it for you but his one-liners are cracking!  Bruce Willis is . . . Bruce Willis, a very similar character to John McClane in the Die Hard quadrilogy, perhaps a little more mellow yet still charismatic.  Helen Mirren does not steal the show but surprised me as the elegant yet lethal Victoria - a great and somewhat different role to that which we are used to seeing her play.

Despite the major players in the movie, the other main characters hold their own with fierce performances from Rebecca Pidgeon and Karl Urban which I was most impressed with.

RED has a decent plot to keep you entertained, great actors all round and humour to make you laugh out loud.  Not the best script in the world but a couple of the action scenes make up for it, despite being a little short - I felt myself wanting just a little more before the end of the scene.   

RED was thoroughly entertaining from start to finish, a little sloppy with some of the editing I thought, but go see it, it's definitely worth it!

I am about to introduce 'Inception' to my sister and will be asking her for her (rather young) opinion afterwards.  I'll let you know on Monday what she (and I) thought of the most hyped up film of 2010!

So until next time faithful film buffs - thanks for reading.

CCC

No comments:

Post a Comment