Friday 8 June 2012

Prometheus


Excitement ran through my veins; expectations were high I was about to indulge myself in the new creation by the creator of sci-fi horror.  A prequel to the 1979 classic, (all you will hear from everyone is that it's not exactly a prequel; I disagree) Prometheus looked and sounded fantastic on the trailers and I was therefore holding my breath . . .

Beautiful, thought provoking and well acted, especially Fassbender as David, Prometheus is definitely worth a watch, despite the fact I felt disappointed for a couple of reasons.  At first I thought it was the lack of action, but then thinking back the somewhat gruesome action scenes were my favourite parts of the film.  Then I realised why it did not live up to my expectations.  Because it was Ridley Scott.   I expected more, more action, more story, more explanations, none of which seemed to appear throughout.

Michael Fassbender kept me entertained as he wonderfully portrayed a robot made to look human as 'humans are more comfortable interacting with their own kind.'  This quote stayed in my mind as it seemed an oxymoron that the expedition was to meet our makers whom were not expected to be human.

The team on Promotheus (with the exception of Vickers played rather well by Charlize Theron) set out on the mission to meet the 'engineers' that builti humans to find out the meaning of life, only to be met by anger and violence, depcited in this film as punishment for our curiosity perhaps? 

What I really enjoyed about this film was the anticipation throughout; I was tense due to being scared, exactly how a horror movie should make you feel, and the sci-fi parts in between were well scripted and well acted, although the 'twist' (I highlight thispoint in inverted commas as I was unsure if it was meant to be a twist) seemed extremely obvious.  I also find myself asking questions about one of the main characters which was sadly answered; I couldn't hep but feel that the film would have had more of an edge if it hadn't been answered.  (I would like to explain this further, however I don't want to ruin the film for you!)

For me Prometheus was entertaining although slightly too long, and very gruesome in parts which is a positive point, for me at least!   I realise that was the second time I have used the word gruesome, the reason being that is the first word I used when I came out of the cinema to decribe it!

I would recommend going to see this on the big screen as it's worth it for quite a few of the big scenes, however if you are expecting an Alien prequel masterpiece as offered in the trailers, you will be disappointed.  Despite this, definitely worth a watch, even if you are not a fan of the original Alien movies (But that would be crazy, am I right?!)

Now Ridley, if you're reading this, I would really like to see a film about the whole creation and thought process of David, I was simply fascinated by his character . . . I will wait . . . !

Until next time film fans

CCC

No comments:

Post a Comment